Friday, April 23, 2010

Air Evac

I took the kids to Dallas to celebrate my brother's 30th birthday. Mike couldn't make the trip because he had to work that weekend. I picked the kids up from school on Thursday and we headed out after we had a nail and screw removed from one of my tires that I happened to notice only an hour earlier. It was a God thing!
Drew works for Air Evac (flight rescue) in Ennis which is on the way to his house. He just happened to be working that night so we stopped and ate dinner with him. This is where the crew stays while working their 24 hour shift.
Drew and the kids before he shows them the helicopter.
Drew showing the girls the inside of the helicopter.
Carter liked sitting in the helicopter but...
...he was much more interested in playing with it."Can you see me Mommy?"
3 out of the 4 times we have stopped to see Drew (actually, to see the helicopter) they have been called out on a flight. The first time we saw him take off, I got teary watching my baby brother do something so important and risky at the same time. The second time we didn't even make it to the base but we were able to see the helicopter flying while we were driving north on 45. Very cool. This time...one minute he is showing us another helicopter in the hanger and the next minute the door is swinging behind him, he grabs his helmet and they start preparing to take off. It is amazing the how quickly and calmly this whole process happens. I am so proud of my brother's faith and courage.

No comments: